Welcome to my new project! This is the home of material generated in my criminal law class. It is a bit more “random” in nature than my evidence material, but I believe it may still be of interest to those hoping to learn more about the criminal law, and that over time it will provide an archive of subject matter on a variety of topics. (Click on the menu heading above for a drop down menu that guides to the various capsules). I do that with the following caveats!
- Needless to say, this is not legal advice. It is designed to provide introductory explanations of certain topics in criminal law.
- These materials were designed for my students taking part in my criminal law class- as such they are NOT supposed to be comprehensive or exhaustive of the subject.
- They were made with time constraints in mind. There are errors throughout, and though I feel confident about the product generally, I did not attempt to correct every mistake made. The goal was to put a good product together in a short period of time.
- Often, in the interests of time, certain points are generalized. This doesn’t mean they’re “wrong”, but nuances are often fleshed out in the course materials or in class. Rather than include caveats with every sentence, I sometimes make broad generalizations even though I’m aware there might be exceptions that can occasionally arise. Again, the goal is to promote a generalized understanding that provides a platform for deeper learning.
- I will heartily disavow any attempt to rely upon these in conflict with another Professor, judge, lawyer, etc. Thus, anyone who says “yes, but Professor Sankoff said X”… will receive no support from me! Especially where exams are concerned, it is always good practice to follow your Professor’s view of the law. If this material helps you, by all means use it, but do so with care.
This material has taken considerable time and effort to produce. I ask only two things in return. First, if you like these capsules – pass them on. The primary objective here is to share a deeper understanding for the subject area I love most. Second, if any of this was in any way useful, I urge you to let me know. A short note at email@example.com, or a comment (below), or even a “like”, would really make my day!